Running to 7am workout before heading to work? If you are like me and are heading to a pretty intense spin class, you may be very averse to skipping breakfast. Doing an intense workout on an empty stomach will cause nausea. I learned my lesson when I skipped breakfast before Barry’s Bootcamp and felt nausea for hours after.
Try these quick Pre-Workout Breakfasts:
- Whole grain Eggo waffle with almond butter, honey, and banana hits the spot. Toast the waffle, smear on some almond butter and honey (I even add a teaspoon of coconut oil), and throw some banana slices on top. This is delicious plus it contains protein, carbs, and electrolytes.
- Ezekiel Toast with spinach scrambled eggs gives you the carbs to last through intense cardio and the protein to build that muscle. Plus, you get your dose of greens. Toast the slice. Scramble one or two eggs with some frozen spinach.
- Oatmeal with whey protein, flaxseed, hemp seeds, and berries provides you with a slowly digested complex carbs and keeps blood sugar on an even keel (key to avoid nausea). I throw in half a scoop of vanilla whey protein, some ground flaxseed meal, and hulled hemp seeds to make this a super nutritious meal. You can also add in some almond butter, coconut oil, cinnamon, raisins, almonds, walnuts, and/or honey to make it even more nutritious and yummy.
- Spinach/Berry/Banana/ Protein Smoothie will also provide you with enough energy and protein for a pre-workout breakfast. In this order, throw frozen spinach, frozen blueberries, a banana, one scoop of vanilla whey protein, dates, hulled hemp seeds, ground flaxseed meal, chia seeds, almond butter, and coconut water into your mixer. If you want you can add in kiwi and/or pineapple as well.
- Plain Greek Yoghurt with berries, flaxseed, hemp hearts, almonds, and banana will also get the job done with less calories and carbs if that is your prerogative.